Tuesday

Dark Clouds Hide Flintoff Injury


During the launch of Asda’s annual Kwik Cricket initiative at Regents Park yesterday (May 14th) Andrew Flintoff batted and bowled against a gaggle of young cricketers. It was a wet and windy day in North London and with many of the ECB staff present discussing the weather forecast for the rest of the week it appears that the First Test against the West Indies will be a wash out.


This will no doubt be a huge relief to Peter Moores. Moores will be keen to start his new tenure with the best team possible on the field. With Vaughan injured and Flintoff going for a scan the appearance of a bit of rain is probably not unwelcome. Freddie announced his ankle was still giving him some pain and that he was only “hopeful of being fit for Thursday”.


An ECB spokesman commented on Flintoff fitness:

"A further re-assessment of Andrew's injury will be made by the ECB Medical Team tomorrow morning prior to the England team's net practice at Lord's." However, hearing word from Flintoff’s manager, Neil Fairbrother, it appears that Freddie is having a scan at a Harley Street clinic before an announcement is made about his fitness by the ECB medical team.


Flintoff was cautious during the interview and would only class himself as “all right” when asked. “Sometimes when it is the ankle the alarm bells start ringing a bit but I’m still very hopeful. When I was operated on it was on the back and the inside of the ankle but this pain is more on the outside. This discomfort is something I felt during the winter so it is not something completely new.”


He was jovial for the most part though. When asked a seemingly bizarre question by an Indian reporter regarding the likelihood of him retiring by the next World Cup he was bemused and stated that being “only 29” he would “hope that he would certainly be playing in that one”. But with the constant injury problem that are starting to plague Flintoff it may not have been such a ridiculous question.


The captaincy issue is one that has created much hype since 'pedalogate' and when asked about this he was keen to lay any fears to rest regarding any possible animosity. “The issue of captaincy hasn’t crossed my mind since I got back from the Caribbean, I have just been concentrating on getting my game back in order. I’ve spent some valuable time in the nets with Neil Fairbrother and I have got some good scores for Lancashire. I am happier with my game than I have been recently.”


When asked about the poor performance of the England team in the World Cup Flintoff obviously wanted to look forward. "Staying in the West Indies gave me some time to reflect about what had gone on over the winter and, more importantly, how to move on from there and how I'm going to get back to playing my best cricket. I feel I'm going in the right direction," he said.

"The bowling does seem to take care of itself for the time being and the emphasis has been more on batting. I've worked hard and it seems to be coming back a bit now. "I've by no means cracked it, or am where I want to be, but I'm a lot happier about how I'm playing.”


In a light hearted exchange Freddie was asked by an Irish TV crew about his huge popularity in Ireland, especially with the Ladies. “I have no control over the Irish women; I don’t see myself as a sex symbol. I want to focus on playing cricket and playing well. I’m just pleased that I can help this (Asda) initiative; anything that can make thousands of kids take up cricket deserves my support.


Tom Cowle© Cricket World 2007

1 comment:

Binit said...

England aren't missing Freddie these days but if and when he finds his fitness and form, will selectors not tempt him to play tests once again?

Ashes is 5 months away.